Sunday, July 4

Jacksons Restaurant (Reston, VA): My New Favorite Sushi Roll, Chunky Lobster Mac and then some...

Jacksons is part of an incredible restaurant group in the Virginia area called "Great American Restaurants" which specializes in classic american cuisine with really dynamic flavors. I love it because the philosophy of the chefs at Great American Restaurants seems to be, "if we're going to put it on the menu, we're going to make this stuff as mind-blowingly fantastic as humanly possible." I have been to MANY of their restaurants MANY times and I still find myself dumbfounded as to how they are able to pump out such consistently great food.

So many good things...for this post I will sum up my most recent finds at Jacksons:

1. I'm a HUGE fan of their bread basket, which features this super yummy little salty/sweet roll called an Ozzie and is served warm with sweet poppy seed honey butter. It's INSANE! and usually the biggest hit at the table...(though they do have an incredible bread basket in general...my other loves are the Poblano Cheddar Bread and Two Raisin Pecan...y u m!)

2. Now this is not a restaurant that you would expect to get great sushi, as "classic american" and "sushi" aren't exactly synonymous. However, as previously mentioned, what they are known for is consistently awesome food no matter what you order...so in that case, I guess I should have known the sushi would be amazing just like everything else on their menu...I had no clue it would be the BEST SUSHI ROLL I HAVE EVER EATEN!! (and I've had LOTS people!) The Crunchy Shrimp and Macadamia roll is ToDieFor! A combination of whole shrimp, crushed macadamia nuts, cucumber, and mint (!!) Simply AMAZING...and served with Spicy Mayo, Sriracha Mustard, and Miso dipping sauces (the Miso is the sure winner in my book!)
3. Lobster Mac N' Cheese...need I say more! Especially considering each serving has loads of lobster baked inside!!!! The picture will speak for itself..I couldn't believe how many enormous chunks of real lobster were in this mac n' cheese...at other restaurants, I usually have to search for the 2 tiny pieces of seafood or meat or whatever that gives a dish its namesake...Jacksons Lobster Mac is exactly what it should be....and then some!

4. I was so jealous of my sister's Hickory Grilled Jumbo Shrimp...(with so many good options, it was impossible not to experience some form of food envy at the table) the shrimp were HUGE and grilled to literal perfection! You can taste the smoky hickory flavor the moment it hits your tongue. I wanted to grab them all when she wasn't looking and hide them underneath my Lobster Mac N' Cheese!
5. Shortcakes are one of my all time favorite desserts and the Berry Shortcake at Jacksons was one of the best I've tasted in a long time...fresh berries and whipped cream sandwiched between to soft chunks of angel food cake sitting in a bowl of perfectly sweet strawberry sauce...listen up new-age chefs, these are the components of a perfect strawberry shortcake. As they say...don't try to fix something that ain't broken!...Oh and MAJOR points to the fact that they serve it with Double Rainbow Vanilla Ice Cream (the most incredible Vanilla Ice Cream I have ever had...which btw has won several awards for exactly that...and I completely understand why!)
TIP: You too can experience the awesome-ness of Double Rainbow Ice Cream...pick some up at your local Trader Joes (yippee!)

You know I'll be back VERY soon!! I still have Deviled Eggs w/ Spiced Pecans and Sugar Cured Bacon to try!!


Jacksons Restaurant: 11927 Democracy Dr. Reston, VA 20191 www.greatamericanrestaurants.com/jacksons


Back to the website: www.girllovesfood.com

Jackson's Mighty Fine Food on Urbanspoon

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At July 7, 2010 at 12:51 PM , Blogger Kelli said...

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm.... that Berry Shortcake looks To DIE FOR! I want it!!! Actually all of that food looks amazing! So jealous!

 
At April 6, 2012 at 10:16 AM , Blogger Laurie Snow Turner said...

I love Jackson's too. I asked how they make their deviled eggs. Secret ingredient? You'll never guess.... watermelon juice. I'm going to try to make some this weekend. I'll let you know whether I even come close. lauriesnowturner.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home